Monday, October 19, 2009

Will I Ever Go On A Date Again?

Maya and Joey, both single women, were sitting in an auto-rickshaw. It was the end of the day, and the beginning of a long evening before it was time to turn off the lights, sleep, wake up the following morning and begin the rigmarole all over again.

This city, we call passionately, Ahmedabad - or fondly, No Sex In This City!

28, stable job, writes for a passion, has done it for a living, a bod to die for - Joey lit a cigarette, and out of the blue quipped, "Will I ever go on a date again?" Maya was surprised. She'd thought a girl like Joey would have trouble keeping the bad boys off. Apparently not.

"Seriously, do you know how long it has been since I went on a date?" Silence. "Been years, at least 3. Scared to say 4." Maya thought of her complicated long-distance boyfriend.

"The last two dates I had, ended badly." Was that a lament? "Come on, it can't be that bad." Maya consoled her friend.

"Ok, so I went on a date, to the pool-side cafe at Fortune Landmark. This dud-stud came wearing a t-shirt I hated. I sat down at the table, but half-way through the meal, I was like I have to go. He looked stunned! But I just had to leave. I hated his t-shirt! And I told him to finish the hamburger. I hated that too!"

For a minute there was silence. But Maya couldn't resist, "And the second one?"

"Well, that was going well. We could've had something going. We were mixing cocktails in the kitchen, or making a salad, I don't know what, and suddenly I felt a hug grab me from behind! I froze. It had been so long since I had been hugged by a man, that I froze. And when I un-froze, I ran for dear life."

So let's think, who can we ask out to beat the daily routine. We came up with the perfect answer....NO ONE.

Welcome to Ahmedabad, the place where single, intelligent women like Joey and Maya will die single.

10 comments:

Manjushree Abhinav said...

Shubh Shubh bol, puttar.
there is a goddess who roams the skies, saying
'tathaatsu' 'may it come true'
:)

Henri said...

Well, Manju if things I did say came true, then I would have been married by now to a guy who values and appreciates the goodness in me...All I do meet is self-centred people who talk of love, but can't act on it.

Fatema said...

You will be, gorgeous, you will be... Just stop hating t-shirts. I remember being flirted to, in ahmedabad. Imagine - ME!!!!! Being flirted to!! I was awful to look at in Ahmedabad.

Henri said...

No, no. I am not desperate to get married at all. I was just making a point about things coming true if we said them! Everyone gets flirted with, it's about who we'd like to flirt back with na!!!

Stu said...

hmm, not sure what I think about this one. Why do you think this, in Ahmedabad? tell, even if it is politically-incorrect...I think it is bound to be that, in some weird way.

Henri said...

Stu, I know this is the case in most places. But in Ahmedabad, I do find a grave lacuna for intelligent male company. Met many extremely bright women in this city, love most of them, but the suitable male counterpart is sadly missing! It's only the lucky few who find love in college and it continues to inspire awe and envy alike!!! ;)

Verisimilitude said...

Why do you do this to me? hehe! :) Love the idea of the blog ;) Can I write? :D p.s. What was he wearing?

Henri said...

OF COURSE YOU CAN WRITE! Send me one, and then you'll be made admin on this one! Find yourself a cool nickname! And I wasn't the one who ran out on the date. It's Joey, and she really hasn't been on a date in 3 years!

Anonymous said...

Good WORK!!

I think there has to be a character on the blog.. who also talks about the very exciting (read desperate tries to make life exciting) things that these almost 30 single women do on weekends - this might just be a good way to invite men from across the globe to ahmedabad!

Reshma Balakrishna said...

Girls, men are the same everywhere. Not just Ahmedabad!Duh!!! I think its true that all 'desirable'guys are either married or gay...

Post a Comment