Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Noor - It's Been So Long That...

Introducing Noor: Miss-Know-It-All! NO, she really does - about music, books, science, movies - can spell or pronounce any word you give her, will cross-check every piece of information you give her about any subject - 5 feet 5 inches tall, slim-shouldered, long-legged, dusky, even-toothed 420 watt smile, tousled wavy black hair - she's the Indian woman the smart guy dreams of. But all's not well here either. Noor's not been out on a date for so long that...

Noor, Maya and Joey were having lunch together. They usually do. The boys in their department join them sometimes. But the girls enjoy their girlie lunches once in a way, and these days it seems to have become essential.

Noor seemed to be lost in her thoughts. And then she suddenly said, "You know over Diwali, I was so thrilled that a 12-year old boy in the neighbourhood asked me out."

"Don't be a moron. 12-year old kids don't ask ANYONE for dates, leave alone you." Joey hissed. "No, no, it's true. He did." insisted Noor urgently. "Come on Noorie, you can't be serious," even Maya refused to support her on this one.

"See he came to my house and said, will you come down to burst crackers with me?" Noor revealed a little sheepishly.

"THAT'S NOT A DATE!" Joey and Maya yelled.

"It's been so long that...." Noor stopped mid-sentence. Raucous laughter drowned her voice.

2 comments:

Fatema said...

Here is a guilty little secret. (But then, you have always shown me that my little secrets are nothing to feel guilty about. More on that later, if you want. Involves a little incident in St. Xavier's canteen and a new feminist horizon, zooop, just opening up.)
There was a little boy who had a crush on me. When I passed him by on the road, he used to mutter 'Iloveyouiloveyouilove...'
Much as I disdained and laughed and thought it funny, I was secretly very very flattered. There it is then. My secret out in the open for everyone to see :)

Maya said...

Ooooh that's cute Fatema! It's been so long that.....I don't even know what it's like to hear "I love you" anymore ;)

Post a Comment