Friday, October 23, 2009

Two Drinks For Roberto

I refused an invitation to a party this weekend. Reason? I don't have a date. Actually, I don't know the hosts too well, so a date would've come in handy. Especially two drinks down, when I get a little woozy :)

The invitation got me thinking about Roberto. He is quite the party guy. Not your dance-the-night away kinda guy. He just loves to socialize at parties. Has to meet everyone. Talk to everyone, not just women, men too! No seriously, he's a people's person. If he has met a person once, he's likely to flag that person down, months later, from the opposite side of the street to say hello even if that person has no recollection of him!

So if we went to parties, he would just give me a drink and then leave gaping at the air in front of me and just walk off to talk to others. Now, ME - I get the creeps when I walk into a room full of people! Even if I do know some people there. I like to hold on to my date till there's enough alcohol running in my system, and then there's no stopping me. I will burn the dance floor, break hearts, kiss the air as I greet strangers and simply rock the night out. But the journey to that place is hard.

When I began dating Roberto, I used to get really annoyed with him. But there's nothing more uncool than to fight in public or go cling to someone who will just shrug you off. And that's how I learned to let go and observed a pattern in his behaviour.

The last time we met, we were at Shiro in Mumbai. Swanky as shit! High ceiling, shimmering, beady curtains, low orange-red lighting, scented candles, huge sofas, the works. We had not even been invited to the party. We were tagging along with Roberto's cousin! Yea, that's how social he is!

As soon as we entered, Roberto and the cousin deserted me. Resigning to my fate, I ordered myself a mojito. Soon this really sweet guy came up to me. He looked sleepy and admitted he was. I got him a drink (not bought!!). Conversation flowed. Soon my entourage grew. I met pompous, sexist men and I met lecherous men...Women sized me up and I returned their disdainful look. The cute, sleepy man was replaced by a banker who took me out for a smoke and showed a lot of interest in my work. He managed to not smile when I said I smoke only when I drink. He was cute.

And just as I downed the last sip of my second drink and re-entered the club area, it happened again. Roberto caught my eye from across the room and smiled. He raised his glass as a personal toast to me. Again, my heart fluttered. He lowered his eyes, and signalled discreetly for me to go stand next to him.

I tried not to run, tried my best to walk across the room lazily. And as I stood next to him, I felt his fingers entwine in mine. I know a genuine smile lit my face up!

Soon there was an arm around my shoulder, but he continued to talk to these two Englishmen, while one of his fingers played with my hair. As we moved from group to group, my ability to listen to the conversation and contribute to it faded. All I could think of was Roberto's arm around my waist.

Most people go together and lose each other during a party, a few drinks down. But Roberto and I - we would come separately (though together) and find each other at the end. Always.

2 comments:

Roberto said...

Maya kids, for in reality I am quite the country bumpkin, not the suave socializer she makes me out to be. On the other hand, she may be reserved at first, but once she gets talking she whips up quite a storm!

Either way, the parties are a blast! Here's another personal toast to you, from across the world!

Joey said...

:) Aww, Roberto, Maya is quite the little minx, isn't she. Anyhow, we are liking you much in spite of your country bumpkin ways.

Post a Comment