Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Anti-Climax in a Bookstore

Ahmedabad lacks two things. Good men, and good bookstores. They say that some women (like Joey and me, may be?) may even prefer a good book to a man. It's true. I'd rather re-read an old favourite than try out a blind date.

So there I was at Crosswords, the only thing that can pass off for a bookstore in Ahmedabad. I went to look for Orhan Pamuk's "My Name Is Red".

Anyway, so I did what I usually do. I plonked myself on the floor at the Indian Fiction section. And I stacked a whole lot of books that I wanted to check out. And by that I mean, reject with disdain.

I was having a quiet time. I was just beginning to enjoy myself tching tching about the downfall of Indian literature, when I saw HIM standing oh too close for comfort.

Nice cologne. First thought. Tick - No body odour. Thankfully. I swear I don't intentionally start ticking off a mental list, but it just happens. I am so much in search of "my kinda guy" that it's almost like breathing now, you know!

He picked up Amitav Ghosh's "The Glass Palace". Immediate thought. Tick - Likes the same books as me. Some people don't like this book, some people love it. I am one of those who read it repeatedly for relaxation, i.e. I worship it.

He knelt down to look at a few books in a lower shelf. I got a chance to see his shoes. Loafers. With socks. Green and pink. I was really surprised. I am constantly looked down upon by my friends for wearing socks that are bright and most often don't match my outfits. No I am serious. My friend MN, got me 32 pairs from Dubai last year. Pretty, different colours, with stars, ankle length. I will always remember her. As I will, this man with the green and pink socks. Tick - wears lovely socks. Tick, tick - wears PINK!

I found myself giving him a side-long glance. Hey, it's been like years since I did that. But come on, this man and I did have some karmic connection, no? I liked his clothes. Simple. Muted. Faded jeans. Frayed at several places. Gray sweatshirt. Looked worn out.

Rule 1 of dressing down - only 1 item of your clothing can be loud.
Rule 2 of dressing down? Sometimes socks will be the entire outfit.

This man had me eating out of his hand. But waittaminnit. He wasn't even looking at me. That's odd. But okay, some men just take longer than others, right? And then he sat down on the floor. Tick - not fussy about sitting on the floor. Ah, soul mates. He went through each book slowly. He even picked up my friend's book, "A Grasshopper's Pilgrimage". I am partial towards my friends' books. That made me feel fondly for him. Tick - Reads peppy books written by friends on spirituality. Then, he turned towards me, didn't smile immediately. Looked. For a exactly 3 seconds. And smiled. Head rush. Tick - pearly, eventoothed smile.

I smiled back. I think. Don't know. I was scared he would ask me for my number. I was scared he would speak and burst the fairytale. I was scared, I admit, of being let down. Again. So I did what I knew best. Went back to my books and viciously, yes, more viciously than usual, pulled them down, albeit in my head, muttered audibly and put them back into the shelves.

And each time I did that, this gorgeous, almost perfect creature would give me an understanding smile. Damn, he was cute. But I knew I had to walk away.

He didn't make any attempt to follow me. I sighed. He WAS looking at the books and didn't mean to hit on me. I hid behind the music section so that I could get a clear yet distant view of his moves. He browsed more books, I couldn't see what though. I consoled myself, "It's okay, he must be gay in any case. Too good to be true baby. Go home and cry over your complicated relationship."

So I stopped stalking the poor man. I browsed the music section for a bit and then went to the check out counter. I saw the demi-god ahead of me 2 lines away. And this time I got a clear view of the books he had. It was then that I knew. It WAS too good to be true! Far away from "my kinda man".

What was he carrying you ask? "Five Point Someone", "One Night At A Call Centre" and "Two States". Chetan Bhagat. Not one. Not two. But three.

I have dated men whose idea of reading was Playboy and Gentleman. And men who had archived and serialized years of copies of Autocar and Inside Outside. And men who read Business Today for pleasure. And men who preferred women's magazines. But this is where I draw the line.

I hugged my copy of "My Name Is Red" and walked out. Relieved. Happy. Free.

Disclaimer: I have nothing against Chetan Bhagat. I don't know him. But I don't appreciate his books. I have nothing against people who read his books, they just can't be my boyfriends.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

har har... that was hilarious... and yeah, Chetan Bhagat probably hates you :)
-Abe

Nino's Mum said...

Actually I was going to say me too (for the chetan bhagat part of it), but I realised it's damn rare to get a good-book loving guy, who really dresses well, is open to being wild (pink socks, wow!) and is friendly without being a perve. Maybe you should have given bhagat a miss this time, whatsay?

Joey said...

@ Anonymous: I agree. Maya is a sexy diamond. Chetan Bhagat has probably never had an original thought in his whole life. Who's the winner? Why, Maya, of course!

@Nino's Mum: Aw, come on, our girl Maya would rather wait for someone who wears boring socks but doesn't read Chetan Bhagat. It's all well to love books but carrying THREE Chetan Bhagats is a sure sign of a diseased mind. The guy probably has a really evil library at home. I'm glad Maya gave him a miss!

Nino's Mum said...

hahaha :) well you've got a point. although maybe it was a 'punishment gift' for a weird friend that he was buying. Or just wanted to know what all this hoopla about Bhagat really is. *sheepish* He had me with his socks, you know, that's why all this :)

Joey said...

Ah, so the socks got to you! That's forgivable. I totally understand the power of socks :)

Fatema said...

Hozeifa (husband) likes Mithun Chaktavarthy movies and ALTAF RAJA!!! But he also loves Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan and the poetry of Ghalib...
Anyways, how did you like My Name is Red? It is one of my favourite books in the whole world.
AND - you love those cute teeny socks? Tell me where and I shall send you those by the dozen.

Maya said...

Fatema - Joey digs Mithun. She watches the strangest Salman Khan movies that no one else probably watches. Like I said, had the guy even had anything else, even Cosmo, along with the CBs, I'd have asked him out. But he didn't, and so he strikes out. A true book lover, like me, couldn't walk out a bookstore with just 3 CBs in hand.

And, Ghalib...hmmm...deep ;) My address is being emailed, send the socks. Will share them with Joe too!

Unknown said...

Maya!

I have read the 1st and the last of Chetan Bhagat's books. They be crap.Agreed. But u won't know it till u read it will u :)
benefit of doubt wise maybe... u shd have confirmed if he has read CB before u ditched pink-socks-guy without him even knowing :)
after all he did check out some other nice books
who knows? maybe he was gifting CB books to torture someone who he knew would leave him alone after getting them :)
What say u?

PS: Yes, we get the subtle hint. If I see any more interesting socks, will mail them across.

Joey said...

@ Cow-Herd: Seriously, what is it with people thinking that Chetan Bhagat readers are to be forgiven? NO WAY. They are fools of the first order and automatically banished from the Kingdom of Eligibility, socks or no socks, torture gift or no torture gift.
PS: Socks are always welcome. Happiness is a warm sock.

Piyali said...

wow...Maya. You look and sound nothing like what I remember. Love the post..

Manjushree Abhinav said...

Henry, darling, my book is called A Grasshopper's Pilgrimage, not The.

And, I enjoyed reading Two States. It is packed with laughter. I was giggling till two am, next to a snoring hubby, reading that book.

I think most of you who don't like Chetan Bhagat are merely jealous that someone who is so simple and clean can be so loved as an author.

Maya said...

@ Ma Ananda...."MAYA" has changed the name of the book. 1. It's "HenrI" and NOT "HenrY" 2. This blog belongs to Maya and Joey, and not Henri or Henry or whoever.

Also, like I said, Mr. Bhagat's definitely a household name, but so is Ekta Kapoor! In fact, I think, Ekta Kapoor is more famous than Mr. Bhagat, and not to mention richer! And if I had to choose someone to be jealous of, I'd choose her over Mr. CB - I am not, but just taking your argument into account.

You see, my jealousy is reserved for women who have good skin, long black hair, a lovely nose and who do not need to wear spectacles or lenses or require any laser surgery! So there.

So you go right ahead and pick up Mr. Bhagat and hold him dear to your heart, and I will go back to my snobbery, yea?

Satyajit said...

dayam women. awesome insight into a woman's mind. i wished he HAD introducted himself with a "Myself...."

Maya said...

@ Satya - Well, if he had done that, I swear I'd have gone running all around the huge store, screaming "Aaaaahhhh!! Hellllppp..." and now that you mention it, I am pretty sure he might've and glad that I didn't make a move!

Abdusalaam alHindi said...

This is my first time visiting your blog and this single post of yours has made me to bookmark your blog. Allow me to explain why.

As I read your post, I found myself saying, 'Boy this girl is fussy about her choice in men. Judging a guy on the kind of books he reads. How superficial.'

But then when I got to the end, I yelled out, 'Hallelujah! Praise the lord! Finally, someone in India who hates Chetan Bhagat as much as I do. This girl is totally justified to judge men by the kind of books they read.'

You should know, I would have done the same thing if I had come across a girl of my dreams and had she been carrying Chetan Bhagat books. I might have even walked up to her and tossed those books out of her hands. And there's even a slight possibility that I would have even called her a whore and walked out of the bookstore, leaving her dazed and confused. (I jest. I would do no such thing.)

I don't know if you read his column in the times of india every week or not, but the masachist in me, drives me to read it every week and all the while I cuss and swear as I do.

Read my post I wrote on my blog in response to one of his columns a while ago. You'll know what I'm talking about.

http://abdusalaam.blogspot.com/2009/10/letter-to-chetan-bhagat-from-generation.html

Anyways, besides your colorful style of writing, you've given me a reason to bookmark your blog. And I hope to revisit soon.

Abdu
( http://abdusalaam.blogspot.com )

Post a Comment